Everyone should have access to an education, especially young people who have experienced homelessness.
The Kathy Oliver Scholarship Fund was established in 2018 to honor the life’s work of Outside In’s longtime Executive Director. Kathy led the agency for nearly four decades and grew it from a small team of staff and volunteers to an organization with over 150 employees, 11,000 patients and clients, and three program areas including medical care, behavioral health, and extensive services for youth experiencing homelessness. Throughout the years of growth and success, Kathy never lost sight of the mission. She believed everyone deserves to have their basic needs met, and that everyone should have access to education, especially young people who were experiencing homelessness and oppression.
Today, students who are participating in educational programs at Outside In’s Employment & Education Resource Center (ERC) are eligible to receive support from the Kathy Oliver Scholarship Fund.
We are proud to report that our postsecondary programing, term-by-term retention, and overall student success, continues to be strong, thanks to the Kathy Oliver Scholarship Fund. Since July 2019, Outside In has awarded $30,200 in student scholarships. This funding has been used to provide flexible support to 34 postsecondary students and 29 GED students in the form of tuition payments, books/supplies, transportation, and the creation of a technology loan library.
We are expecially proud of these accomplishments:
- Seven postsecondary students found employment in areas directly related to their chosen fields of study.
- Twenty-eight students attended thirty-two distinct postsecondary exposure pportunities—such as, tours, information sessions, trade or apprenticeship fairs, and preview days.
- A technology loan library was created to provide remote tutoring opportunities for students.
- Five students earned their GED.
- Two students completed short term vocational certificates.
- One student transferred from two-year college to four-year university.
It is because of you – our community –
that Outside In is able to save the lives of thousands of people each year.
We would love to hear from you!
Please feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, and questions with us.
We are grateful for your support!
Your support of Outside In creates health and hope for the more than 11,000 people we serve every year. We can’t say it enough: THANK YOU!